Carbon Monoxide Detectors Required by July 1, 2011

As of July 1, 2011, rental property owners will be required to install carbon monoxide detectors. While this may seem like a hassle, we at Real Property Management believe this is a great way to reduce the risk of deaths and illnesses related to carbon monoxide poisoning. According to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 232 deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning between 2001 and 2006 alone. We believe this act benefits all three parties – Tenants, Property Owners, and Property Managers. We all want to make sure the residents and families of our rental properties in remain safe and healthy.

Carbon monoxide is considered the ‘silent killer’ because symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu, and carbon monoxide has no smell or taste, so most victims do not realize they’re being poisoned. For the cost of installing an inexpensive carbon monoxide detector, we can all be at ease knowing these detectors will greatly reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Our current property owners- a Real Property Management representative will be contacting you shortly to inform you of this recent bill being passed, and of the steps that need to be taken to ensure compliance.

Not yet a client of Real Property Management? Call us today to get started to avoid this hazard- We’d be thrilled to have you on our team.